'As idle as a painted ship upon a painted sea'


I was asked by a co-worker to do a painting for her. I'm cool with birds and doing a pretty good job with apples. But she wanted something that reminded her and her husband of their honeymoon to Saint Lucas. Something with boats and the ocean.
This is what I came up with. To date, this has been the most challenging painting I've done. I knew immediately how I wanted to do it, but the colors and the mountain gave me fits. Also, I wrestled with where to draw the line at how complicated I wanted to make the painting. I tried adding reflections of the boats and was really unhappy with how those turned out, so I repainted the water for a third time.
In the end, I'm really happy that I kept it more simple, giving very little detail to the boats, mountain and sky.
My coworker says she loves it, so I'm calling it a success.

Next up is a flower painting for another co-worker.

2 comments:

Stephanie Nickell said...

Do only co-workers get original Dale Edwards pieces? I can't believe all these paintings going out the door...

I love the sail boats, your art has really expanded.
Stephanie

Laura Busse said...

I so very much enjoy this painting, Dale. I know the bathroom seems an odd place to put this painting, but it fits right in with our St. Lucia themed master bed/bath. We see it every day and it truly gives me a sense of peace and tranquility. Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting so much time and effort into it. I look forward to seeing more of your work as your skills and clientele grow.

Post a Comment