Arts and Craft




After I finished my first house painting for a friend and neighbor, I was pretty excited about trying another house. Another friend and neighbor -- who already owns several paintings of mine -- asked if I would paint his house.

I agreed to take it on and set about taking photos from different angles and directions. The Craft House, as I came to call it, just keeps going. I would argue that the impressive and beautiful front of the house gets much of the attention. There is so much detail and nuances.

And a lot of curves. I'm a straight-line painter, so I ruled out the front pretty early on. In the end, I settled on an angle from the rear of the house looking forward down the side. This angle gives a better idea of the length of the Craft House. It also illustrates the changes in the shape and lines.

To date, this painting was the hardest, most challenging I've finished. I started over twice, changing the colors more than once in one day.

I stepped away from the painting for a week or so to clear my head. I have a habit of forgetting I'm not the type of painter who goes in for detail. I had to remind myself that all of those amazing window panes are not my style.

"Stick to what you're becoming known for," I say to myself.

With the exception of the chimney, the painting is essentially a monotone: a collection of grays. And I love how it turned out.

I delivered it to the homeowners and they seemed very pleased with it.

I have since been asked to do the homes of two more neighbors. I'm glad to accept the challenge, but I do hope I can get through it with more ease than the Craft House.

0 comments:

Post a Comment